Monday, November 9, 2009

Like family

My mom was over this weekend, and witnessed our collective euphoria over an unheard of explosion of success from our beloved, yet beleagered, sports teams:

1. My daughter made a spectacular save as goalie in her soccer game, preventing the opposing team from going up 2-0. Instead, her goal kick helped her team set up a great shot to tie the game in the last few minutes.

2. After icing an injured knee through most of the first half, my son went back on the field and helped his team come from being down 0-3 to take a 4-3 lead in the span of 15 minutes. A great shot by the opposing team with 30 seconds to play tied it up, but it was an amazing game to watch.

3. Stanford upset Oregon*.

4. The Clippers won three in a row**.

5. The LA Galaxy clinched a first round playoff win with a great penalty kick by Landon Donovan***

I turned to my mom in elation as we were out running an errand and asked how she enjoyed the Stanford game. She's a become dedicated sports fan (as we all have) since I somehow freakishly gave birth to a jock.

Her: Oh, I didn't watch it. I don't get that channel on my cable****.
[She sighs]
But I did watch the Notre Dame game because of Regis. He went to Notre Dame, you know. He and Kelly are just like family to me now. He'll be so disappointed, and I know it will come up when we all get together on Monday.
[She sighs again]
Two points. That's a tough one.
[She cheers up a little]
But it is so nice about Stanford. I know how much you like them.

There is still no word on how Kelly's team did.

* A particularly sweet outcome since they've crushed everyone else in the Pac-10, including those annoying guys at USC. We also become bowl eligible for the first time since 2001.
** Of course, the Laker fan in our Jr. High carpool was unimpressed, but he has no idea of the depths from which our wonder springs.
*** We were at the game, and it was awesome!
**** Clearly, expanded cable package is the preferred Christmas gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis