Saturday, July 16, 2011

What a difference a day makes

Why camp time makes me an emotional wreck.

We go from this....


To this:

In one day*.

Another Day, Another Way Pork Tenderloin
Since it's summer and it's BBQ season and I missed the kid like crazy, I decided to reinvent my son's Cuban pork dish for the grill.  It was EPIC!

3 pork tenderloins, trimmed of visible fat
8 cloves garlic
2 tsp. dried oregano
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 bay leaves, crushed
1/4 c. fresh grapefruit juice (can also add a little lime juice if you like)
1/4 c. fresh orange juice 
1 c. red wine
A few tablespoons of olive oil
1 tsp. grated orange zest


In a mortar, combine the garlic gloves, 1 tsp. oregano, and 1 tsp. salt and mash into a paste. Rub the garlic paste all over the pork tenderloins, and place into a large non-reactive container. Season liberally with pepper, and sprinkle the crushed bay leaves on top. Combine grapefruit juice, orange juice, and the red wine, then pour the combined liquids over the pork. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours, turning several times.

Combine remaining 1 tsp. oregano, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper and the orange zest in a small bowl.  Remove pork tenderloins from the marinade, and pat dry.  Coat lightly with the olive oil. Sprinkle liberally all over with the oregano mixture, pressing to make sure the spice mixture adheres to the pork.  Cover with plastic wrap and set aside while you heat the grill.
Heat your grill to about 350.  Place pork on the grill, then cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.  Turn tenderloins over, and cook for another 4-5 minutes on another side.  Turn again, and cook for another 4-5 minutes.  This should take about 12-15 minutes total.

Remove to a rimmed baking dish and allow to rest for 10 minutes.  Pork will continue to cook, and will release some juices into the pan.   Slice and serve, drizzling pan juices over.  Delicious with Israeli cous-cous salad and fresh corn.  


Click to Print this recipe!

* To be fair, it took my son three days to go from these texts:

"Thank u for sending me to a camp where can't really make friends cause I can't relate to anybody.  Thank u for sending me to a camp where my counselor is a girl who talks like a stereotypical valley girl and works in the fashion industry. Really, thank u, this is exactly what I wanted to do with my summer.  I honestly can't think of anywhere else i would rather b. Also, thanks for sending me to a camp without wi fi. Ur the best mom, have a nice time without me in san francisco."

"i wanna be home. this sucks."

to these texts:

"Today was MUCH BETTER!  I hung out with these other guys and it was okay."
"hahahahahahaha went to the counter without you!"

And ten days to get to this report, when he got home last night:

"I actually really enjoyed it.  Thanks for sending me."

I'm exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis