Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cook my Mailbox Weekend IV

That whole fall thing?
First it was kinda happening.
Then it was 99 degrees outside.

I took this as a sign that someone up there wanted me catch up on my summer reading, and retired to the hammock. I made excellent progress* on the July issue of Bon Appetit before I fell asleep.

When I woke up, I made this for dinner.


The steaks were melt in your mouth amazing, which I took as a sign that someone up there wanted to reward me for taking the afternoon off.



My "Lazy Summer Evening in October" Menu
Per my own rules when I Cook My Mailbox, I'm sending you to the source for the base recipes. On the steak, the clarified butter is truly magical, and I wouldn't change a thing.  The flatbread recipe looked wonderful, but I picked up a bag of Trader Joe's pizza dough, and grilled portions of that instead**. The herb sauce is a mash up/improvisation of my own, and I used it on everything in sight for the rest of the week.

St. Anselm's Grilled Steak
Grilled Flatbread
Fresh Herb Sauce
Grilled Asparagus

The trick to the steak is drizzling the sizzling flat iron with clarified butter when it comes off the grill.  To clarify butter, you basically melt butter until simmering, then skim off the solids.  Why it tastes so good, I don't know.  It just does.

Portion out the dough, roll to about 1/4 inch thick, then grill for a couple of minutes on each side while the steaks are resting.



Fresh Herb Sauce
Incredible on grilled meat.

1 c. olive oil
1 bunch cilantro (about 1/2 c.)
1 bunch mint (about 1/2 c.)
1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley (about 1/2 c.)
5 green onions, white and green parts
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 heaping tsp. capers
2 Tbs. Champagne vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Blend everything in the blender until smooth.
Serve with grilled flatbreads and steak, or anything else you can think of.

Click to print this recipe!

* I think I made it through the first half for sure.  Or close to it.  Fortunately, this recipe was in the RSVP section in the very beginning.
** The title of this menu included the word "lazy" for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis