Thursday, August 15, 2013

New to Coffee

Before:



After:


Let's just say that having coffee worked out way better for our steak than it did for Will Farrell*.





Grilled Coffee-Marinated Steak

by Sharon Graves
Prep Time: 10 min, plus marinating time
Cook Time: 10 minutes
A dead simple, gloriously flavorful way to a enjoy great grilled steak. The original recipe from the August issue of Bon Appetit called for skirt steak.  I added a splash of soy sauce to the marinade and used a flat iron cut, and it was perfect.  This may be my go to summer steak from now on.



Ingredients
  • 2 shallots, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 c. strong coffee, room temperature
  • ¼ c. balsamic vinegar
  • ¼ c. Dijon mustard
  • ¼ c. light brown sugar (packed)
  • 2 Tbs. soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper plus more for grilling
  • 1½ lb. skirt, flank or flat iron steak
  • Kosher salt
Instructions
Whisk shallot, garlic, coffee, vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, soy sauce, oil and 1 tsp. pepper together in a medium bowl. Pour half of the marinade into a Ziplock bag. Add the steak, seal the bag, and massage a bit to coat. Let sit at room temperature 1 hour, or refrigerate over night. If you put it in the fridge, allow to come to room temperature before starting to grill. Cover remaining marinade and set aside/refrigerate until needed.

Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Remove steak from marinade; discard used marinade. Season steak liberally with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once and basting often with reserved marinade, 8–10 minutes total for medium-rare. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.

* I know I really shouldn't have enjoyed this movie. But how could I not, with quality dialog like this?

Phil Weston: You're my assistant. You're supposed to back me up and go get me juiceboxes whenever I want. Now go get me a juicebox! 
Mike Ditka: DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU'RE TALKING TO? 
Phil Weston: I'm talkin' to the juicebox guy! 
Mike Ditka: You're crazy! 
Phil Weston: I'm not crazy, I'm just thirsty! 
Mike Ditka: OH, YOU GO TO HELL! 
Phil Weston: No, you go to hell, and while you're there, why don't you grab me a juicebox!

2 comments:

  1. you know, i drink coffee every day, but i rarely (if ever) use it in cooking. this looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny...I don't drink coffee, but I love to cook with it! This is the first savory dish I've done though, and it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis