Saturday, June 27, 2009

Tomato! Tomato!

One of my favorite true life stories, ever:

A young woman goes to an audition, and the casting director asks her to sing the very famous Gershwin song, "Let's call the whole thing off!"



She takes the sheet of lyrics, and proceeds to belt out happily
(phonetics added by me, since I can't sing aloud here):

You like to-may-toes, and I like to-may-toes
You like po-tay-toes, and I like po-tay-toes
To-may-to! To-may-to! Po-tay-to! Po-tay-to!
Let's call the whole thing off!

She did not get the job.

I like tomatoes. Especially when they are ripe from the farm stand, like the ones we had tonight.

Easy Summer Tomato Salad

Ripe, juicy tomatoes, preferably from a great produce place or your yard
A few basil leaves
Good olive oil
Good balsamic vinegar
Cracked black pepper
Crumbled blue cheese

Slice the tomatoes. Put on a plate. Tuck the basil in around the tomatoes so it looks nice. Drizzle with a little olive oil and vinegar. Sprinkle generously with pepper, and finish off with a nice amount of blue cheese crumbles on top. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis