Saturday, August 1, 2009

Uncommon Courtesy

The message of the week this morning in class was part of a "habits of excellence" series. The thought being that by consciously deciding to behave a certain way, and making the effort to ingrain that behavior, after a while it becomes integral to who you are and takes no work at all. It apparently takes 30 days to create a habit if you try. We've covered the habits of integrity, of perseverance, of setting goals and going beyond them. Today was the habit of courtesy: Saying "hi" to someone new, "thanks" to a partner who helps you out, "excuse me" when you need attention, and so on. Oddly enough, these small kindnesses go a long way. Especially when there's an overabundance of negativity and bad behavior all around*. So here goes.

To my husband, the best habit I ever formed in my life:

Hi!
It's so nice to have met you.
Thanks for being my friend, and for keeping me giggling all these years.
Please excuse all my annoying little habits and my more significant character flaws.
I really appreciate all those hugs, and the smile in your eyes when you look at me.
I'm profoundly grateful that you married me seventeen years ago today, and that the words we said to each other that sunny afternoon** have proven not only true, but wise and right and comforting beyond measure.
I hope to see you again soon. Like tomorrow, and each and every day after that.


* It's killing me how many of our friends are splitting up. But we did just go to a 50th wedding anniversary celebration, so there is hope.
** To love, honor, cherish and amuse, for all the days of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis