Monday, September 14, 2009

Making the most out of naked toast

About a week ago, I was dismayed to find I was down the last drop in the last jar of my homemade blueberry jam. I was staring at two pieces of freshly toasted cracked wheat sourdough bread, butter melting into the crunchy bits, with no hope of berry satisfaction. I nearly cried*.

But then, I remembered the message of the week from class: Think positive, act positive. You can go through life expecting the worst, finding fault, and making excuses. Or you can get up in the morning and decide to make the most of your day. Either way, you get out what you put in, so if you want results (and don't want to embarrass yourself by bawling in front of the open toaster oven), choose wisely**.

So I chose to rinse out that empty jar of jam and make some more***. It was positively delicious.


* I was already distraught about the appalling state of incivility in our nation's capital. My sister and niece had left town. My son lost his lunch box on the very first day of school. So you can see that this was pretty much the last straw.
** An important corollary is that these attitudes are extremely contagious:
  • Protect yourself - Stay away from whiners and grumpy people.
  • Spread the wealth - Share your jam, or failing that, be grateful out loud to someone today.
*** I made mixed berry jam using the same recipe as the blueberry jam, substituting a combo of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis